|Southern Pacific No. 1 CP Huntington|
This diminutive steam locomotive was built for the Central Pacific Railroad by Danforth, Cooke & Company of Paterson, New Jersey in 1863. Shipped from New York around Cape Horn, it arrived in San Francisco, March 19, 1864, on board the "Mary Robinson." The railroad wanted to purchase a larger engine but because of the Civil War, the C. P. Huntington and its sister engine, the "T. D. Judah were the only ones available. The C. P. Huntington (No. 3 of the Central Pacific) was used in the construction of the transcontinental railroad. In 1871 it was transferred to the newly organized Southern Pacific Railroad and renumbered No. 1. It became a construction engine, operating between San Jose and Hollister, then moved to Oakland for many years of operation in the Bay Area. The locomotive finished its career as a weed burner, clearing the track.
From 1894 on the C. P. Huntington became a symbol of Southern Pacific and was widely known from its many appearances in station openings and other railroad-related celebrations. Among its more notable appearances were those at the following events:
1915 San Francisco: Panama-Pacific International Exposition
1922 Sacramento: Days of '49
1925 Los Angeles: Filming of The Iron Horse
1930 Opening of the Benicia-Martinez Bridge
1934 Chicago Railroad Fair
1936 New Orleans: Opening of the Huey P. Long Bridge
1939 Opening of the Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal (last operated)
1958 Sacramento: "Salute to Steam Age"
1969 Sacramento: Gold Spike Centennial Celebration
Southern Pacific donated the engine to the State of California in 1964. The C. P. Huntington was placed on display at the old state fairgrounds on Stockton Boulevard, in Sacramento, where it remained until a 1970 refurbishing at Southern Pacific's Sacramento Shops. In 1979 it was placed in the Central Pacific Railroad Passenger Station in Old Sacramento.
The locomotive entered the Museum's restoration facility in 1980. Over the years the C. P. Huntington has undergone many rebuildings. A return to its as-built state would have required replacing most of the current components, including the boiler. Therefore the Museum decided to restore the locomotive to its November 1914 appearance when it was refurbished for display at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. The complex, artistic gold leaf striping on the C. P. Huntington is similar to that seen on other nineteenth-century steam locomotives.
The C.P. Huntington is significant nationally as the sole surviving standard-gauge 4-2-4 in the U.S. The unique engine is the oldest locomotive owned by the California State Railroad Museum and is depicted prominently on the Museum's logo.